Thursday, April 7, 2016

Creating Calluses

So, you want to be a caregiver. Good for you. It is a rewarding career, but I will tell you that it's not for everyone. When I had my first caregiver job I was not ready for anything that came my way. I wasn't ready for all the responsibility, the mothering that I had to do, and the control I had over the people's lives in my care. I surely wasn't ready to be a mom. That is basically what you are when you become a caregiver: you feet them, clothe them, bath them and change their dippers (if they wear depends). like I said, this job is not for everyone.

A lot has changed about me since I got my most recent job as a caregiver once again. and I learned really fast that there are several different kinds of people, temperaments and levels of disability. some people, that caregivers call clients, are more mentally sound than others. some are mean and can get violent and others just want to sit on the couch and to nothing. those are two extremes on the opposite scale but everything else in the middle is just kind of basic.
the other thing you have to remember is that you can't treat them like a child, unless they are . if they are an adult, you need to treat them as such. but remember at the same time that they really aren't adults and probably need some help with basic life needs. they need help remembering to go to the bathroom, taking a shower and even probably brushing their teeth. like I said before not everyone needs high maintenance help but some of them do.

one of the clients that I work with is very independent. and I am proud of her for that. she is somewhat bossy but I think that they are just getting used to me. Being a mellow person myself, my client see's that I am mellow and has a tenancy to just raise her voice and it gets me to leave her alone. this can't be going on for much longer, I just want her to get used to me. but I am going to have to put my foot down. but remember, at the same time, that they are just scared, and want life their way. they want to feel safe and in control of everything. that is not exsactly how things go, but it's not a sin to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment